|Home About Us Curriculum Newsletters Preschool ILC / Library Classes Peace Code|
|Contact Us | History | Facilities | Canteen | Uniform Shop | OSHC | Context | Policies | Term Dates|
The first mention in Education Department records is in 1861. A school known as Gepps Cross operated in that year, run by a Mr. William Fitzgerald. Thirty children attended. It is believed the old council chambers of Enfield were used. (now the site of the Liquor barn on Main North Road near the Gepps Cross hotel). After several unsteady years the school established itself and in 1879 a reserve was proclaimed at the corner of Stockade Road and Grand Junction road. On this site a school building was raised in 1880.
In this year it was decided to retain the name as Gepps Cross Public School. This school retained the same students as well as gaining increased numbers from the prison warders' families living in the cottages along Stockade Road.
In November 1900 the school name was changed to Northfield.
The present school opened as a class 111 school on the 10th of February, 1953. The old school building was used as a woodwork centre until demolished. Northfield was at the centre of the federal government's migration policies. Many British migrants settled in the area or were housed in the Gepps Cross Hostel. This school became the biggest in South Australia. Many dignitaries visited to see if all was well, including the then Prime Minister, Mr Menzies. In 1965 a fire destroyed part of the school. Through the 70's and 80's numbers decreased slowly. The enrolment in 1986 was approximately 360. It is now run as a C.P.C. to seven school. The headmaster was Mr Roy Becker and the Deputy was Mr Joe Evans.